Communication is best judged by the effect it has on others, the impact it generates and the results it achieves. This hands-on course focuses on all of these critical elements, allowing delegates to leave the course with a clear plan of how to improve their communication skills, enabling them to achieve the right results.
This challenging, practical and insightful two-day course explores the techniques required for you to achieve positive results through your interaction with others. Altogether a better way in which to communicate! You will leave the course with a personal action plan identifying the key changes to make and skills to practise to build your self-confidence and improve your communication techniques. You will also take away tips, techniques and templates to support you in implementing your communication skills back in the workplace.
For those wishing to improve their communication skills with others; face-to-face, in meetings or on the telephone.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Engage with others and understand the impact you have on them.
- Deliver the image you want to portray.
- Identify different communication styles in action and flex your style to influence others.
- Convey your message clearly, concisely and assertively, and ensure you have understood the message others are conveying to you.
- Recognise how behaviours impact the effectiveness of communication and select the most appropriate behaviour to the situation.
To gain the maximum benefit from the course, you will be sent a pre-course questionnaire to complete which asks you to consider current expectations. This will help you set the context of the course and the information you provide will be used on the day as part of the course activities.
What is Effective Communication?
- Clarifying how you wish to portray yourself
- Exploring how you are perceived by others (personal assessment/feedback)
- Understanding and softening different perceptions and communication barriers
- Exploring styles of communication and experimenting with different styles
Assessing Relative Difference
- How to identify hidden emotions and messages through observation
- Tackling difficult behaviour – effecting a change
- How to deliver difficult messages and maintain the relationship
- Recognizing different behaviours and choosing an appropriate, professional response
Building Rapport – Creating a Productive Relationship
- Use of questioning – softening the barriers, using the right approach
- Listening – what to listen for, how to discern acceptance or resistance
- Listening to understand and not just to respond – focus on active listening
How to Influence Others
- Requirements and process for moving someone from an entrenched position
- Using and controlling your emotions through words, sounds and presence to create impact
- Handling difficult situations and delivering difficult messages
Communicating and Presenting a Positive Image
- Meetings – getting heard, being taken seriously, taking control, getting a decision
- Understanding the relative impact of phraseology
- Responding to others’ ideas – sharing understanding, support and appreciation
Presenting a Positive Image - Personal Application Plan
- Projecting a more confident image through improved communication skills
- Putting communication skills into practice