This course will help you to understand what assertiveness is and how this type of behaviour compares to aggression and passivity. You will learn and practise some tips, techniques and strategies for remaining calm and professional in the face of anger or hostility and managing your own response to difficult situations. You will also have the opportunity to practise responding assertively to requests made by others and making requests in a way that gives you the best likelihood of a positive response. You will leave with a plan of action to respond assertively to at least one personal workplace situation.
This course is suitable for people who would like to recognise and respond appropriately to different types of behaviour and develop the ability to act assertively in challenging workplace situations.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Explain the characteristics of assertiveness and the positive role assertiveness plays in the workplace
- Recognise the fight or flight response and how to control your instinctive reactions
- Practise assertive body language and active listening skills
- Use assertiveness techniques to defuse aggression and regain control of a situation
- Choose an appropriate response to requests made of your time and say ‘no’ positively and confidently
- Make assertive requests of others that are likely to be met with a positive response
- Implement a plan to deal with others more assertively